Friday 18 February 2011

Appointment

Arrived for my appointment in plenty of time. Was there for only a few minutes when I did a complete double-take - one of my colleagues who I used to work with was checking in at the desk. Surely, no. But sadly, yes,my friend too had also been diagnosed with breast cancer. We sat waiting, chatting about everything and I was eventually called in. The consultant clearly explained about the cancer itself as I requested information regarding implants versus tissue reconstruction. It was at this point we had our first beam of light. As the cancer I have is small, it would be unlikely (in the consultant's opinion) that any radiotherapy or chemotherapy would be required post surgery and that the surgery itself would be enough to prevent the spread (metastasis). I am going in on Monday to have a small op to confirm this - called a sentinal node biopsy in which a few axillary nodes are removed. If the results from this are positive, it shows the cancer has spread, or likley to be spread and this will call for a course of radio or chemotherapy. If the result is negative this shows the cancer is not likley to spread at all, and in this case the implants can be used as radiotherapy is not required. Such relief to be informed that the spread is very unlikley and I may not be looking at any other treatment than the surgery itself. Certainly, my husband was extremely relieved to hear this and it lifted the mood from both of us immediately. However there is one small concern I have - although this consultant has clearly pushed the boundaries to ensure the biopsy occurs as soon as possible, it was himself who at the very beginning prior to diagnosis informed me the small lump in my breast was "strongly suspected as being a cyst". So, I have very good news that is clouded with a few doubts. Will have results from biopsy late next week so will know more then.

Came back from appointment with a message from another one of my friends - who after learning of my diagnosis has shared with me that she too has also been diagnosed with breast cancer. Unbelievable. 

I have a very simple message to spread to my female readers - check, check and check. This is the only way that this horrible disease is discovered unless through a routine mamogram. Looks favourable that I may not have to endure other therapies that have undesirable side effects as I found this lump early. And if you do find a lump, chances are that is may not be cancerous but needs to be checked early - as I have found out. I may have saved myself a lot of worry that includes financial loss due to being checked by health care professionals early.  If readers have more information on getting checked early, please post onto comments as this may be helpful to many others out there.

Until the next time...

2 comments:

  1. Today I want to share some good news and some bad news.

    The bad news is that the team I support is sitting proudly at the very bottom of the football league – and that’s where the bad news ends.

    Now for the good news.

    We saw the consultant today and so much has now changed on our outlook. After my experience on Tuesday, I for one was certainly apprehensive about this appointment and I know Sian was too.

    The consultant was fantastic, he included both of us in the conversation and I felt more than at ease in asking questions myself, I suddenly feel part of this whole situation again!

    We have now received what could be the best news we possibly could under the circumstances. As the tumour is so small, it is unlikely that is has spread to the lymph nodes, meaning that the cancer would not have spread beyond the tumour itself. Sian will have to go for some minor surgery to confirm this before the main operation though. I was astounded though when the consultant started talking about this coming Monday being the date for that minor procedure. Wasn’t expecting that one!

    My first thoughts were regarding work. The surgery is done under general anaesthetic so Sian will need me there if only for transport so, a very short notice request for a day off was needed. As usual, my boss has been very understanding and so I’ll be with Sian on Monday. Mind you, my colleagues will probably be happy to get rid of me for the day, my deliriously happy mood this afternoon must have become quite annoying!

    The best news for me personally is that, as long as the lymph node test comes back negative, then there will be no need for radiotherapy and a good chance that chemotherapy will also not be required. This means that Sian can have the reconstruction she wants, just involving implants, rather than the ‘flap’ method which, to be perfectly honest, scared the proverbial out of me!

    There is a note of caution here though. All this of course, depends on the test from Monday's surgery coming back as negative. With the twists and turns this has already taken, we are certainly not counting our chickens yet.

    Of course, if there are none of the therapies involved post-surgery, then Sian’s recovery should be months quicker. This has so many benefits. One of the main ones being that she will not have to go through the nasty side effects that radio and chemotherapy can cause. I know that one of her biggest fears of chemotherapy was the associated nausea that can come with it, though curiously, Sian never worried about the hair loss. I think than may have been down to the fact that she knows that for some of us, that condition is permanent!!

    Also, as Sian herself admits, she makes an awful patient. The quicker recovery means that she will be able to get back to work sooner and not have the worry of going ‘stir crazy’ at home, which naturally means that she will be earning and we will not have to start dipping into the money we have saved recently for a new car.

    So, somebody pass me a copy of AutoTrader, I’ve may have some shopping to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad today went well and brought you some positive news. Will be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed that the results come back good so you can go ahead with the reconstruction:)) xxx

    ReplyDelete